Tuesday 28 July 2015

DD306 : Living Political Ideas - Time to walk the walk.......

I have always lived in parliamentary constituencies in which my vote, on its own, has been pretty insignificant. It has never stopped me voting, and I have always voted, but I have always lived in very safe Labour seat or as now an extremely safe Conservative seat, and therefore it has meant that I have never felt the need to get involved.

Working for the expected Labour landslide in the past, or in the last couple of elections, campaigning against the inevitable Tory win has seemed a bit of a waste of time. What could I possibly do that would make a difference?

So what has changed.

Jeremy Corbyn appears to me to have the honesty and integrity that has been missing in politics since John Smith sadly passed away. John Smith was surely the greatest Prime Minister we never had, and somebody who could communicate to everybody with a credibility and sincerity sadly lacking from many of today's professional politicians.

So what sort of country do I want to live in....... a country where,
Benefits are a safety net, not a way of life, but benefits at a level that allow people to live with dignity
Where those who cannot look after themselves are cared for properly,
Where a suitable minimum wage means working a 40hr week means you earn enough to live on,
Where those who earn more, contribute more (and I say this as somebody who is fortunate enough to pay 40% tax on some earnings)
There is a Re-nationalisation of industries that do not have proper market competition (and that never should have been sold), such as Railways and utilities.
There is a 'National Bank' to stop people having to use loan sharks and pay day loan companies.
Where there is social mobility, inequality is reduced not increased and those that govern are a true representation of those they govern.

..... Yes it is all a bit utopian and will probably never happen, but if the Conservatives get another election win then it may be too late for the NHS, the disabled and the elderly, unless of course you happen to come from money.

So enthused by #Corbyn4Leader I have not only joined the Labour Party, I will also be going along to his Q&A in Luton Tuesday 28th. I will let you know how that goes.......

No comments: