Monday 14 May 2012

A222 - Exploring Philosophy : Plan for Exam Revision

Now I need to check this with my tutor, but looking at the six books below and marking the areas covered by the TMAs in RED it then becomes easier to see where the revision effort should be targeted and for me which books to avoid.

The the subjects I intend to revise are in GREEN and the ones I intend to ignore are just WHITE  

Book 1 - Self. I was marked down for no sticking strictly to Lockefor the TMA, so I have already read pretty deeply in to the Chapters of Hume and Parfit and they don't seem that difficult, maybe because it was the first book and they were leading us in gently. so Hume and Parfit are a given.

Book 2  - The TMA pretty much took up the best part of the first three chapters, leaving only the problem of evil and Acts of God, so this should be a fairly confined section, and if it does stray in to evolution versus delusion then even better.

Book 3 - There is just too much non-TMA material to cover, although it may be worth giving Kant and Abortion a quick read as a back-up to the back-up.

Book 4 - AVOID

Book 5 - Dualism seemed straight forward, functionalism and ID theory was OK, and consciousness would seem the obvious question.

Book 6 - Just had to read all of it so it is fresh in my mind.

So this is my attempt at breaking down the books and chapters in to identifiable subject areas.












Book 1   Self 1 What Am I
Ship of Thesius, 3 Thought Experiments


2 Locke
V 1, Reading 1, Reading 2


3 Hume
V 3 (6 paragraphs),


4 Parfit
V 5, V 6, Reading 3

































Book 2   Religion 1 Aquinas
VI 2


2 Cleanthis & Paley
VI 6


3 Modern Versions





Problem of Evil




4 Acts of God
VI 7





















Book 3   Ethics 1 Plato - Why Be Just
VIII 1, Reading 1, Reading 2.


2 Bentham & Mill
IX 7, VIII 6, Reading 3


3 Kant
VIII 5,


4 Abortion
IX 9, Reading 4, Reading 5





















Book 4   Knowledge 1 Descartes
I 4, I 7,


2 Hume on Induction
VII 5,


3 Popper
VII 9


4 Khun
VII 12, Reading 2,





















Book 5   Mind 1 Descarters / Dualism
I 4, IV 4,


2 Functionalism, ID theory
IV 11, additional reading


3 Extended Mind




4 Consciousness
IV 12, additional reading





















Book 6   Politics 1 Obligations
X 1, Reading 1,


2 Consent & Consiquences
X 4, X 5, Reading 2,


3 Distributive Justice
VIII 10, Reading 3,


4 Justice and Equality
X 10, X 12, Reading 4









So I'll ignore completely Book 4, not worry too much about Book 3 and try and stick to this study plan below - ONCE I'VE CHECKED WITH THE TUTOR.

No comments: