Thursday 4 August 2011

DD101 Introducing the Social Sciences - TMA 06 Phone Tutorial

I took part in a telephone tutorial this evening. I wasn't sure how useful this would be as telephone conferences can be difficult without the visual clues and etiquette that dictate who should speak next, there was the odd incident of people talking over each other, but all-in-all it worked very well.

But best of all it was a really useful tutorial. The concerns I had about the TMA question have pretty much been answered and I now fully understand (or I think I do) the 'evaluate' part of the question - so this will be a really good practice for the TMA 07, which is another evaluate question.

I am off work tomorrow, the plumber is coming, so I am pretty enthusiastic about getting some of the ideas down on a document and from there start working these ideas etc. in to the final answer. As I said before this was a really good tutorial for me, partly because I had done a lot of pre-reading and had some ideas and questions, the other members of the group appeared to be equally prepared so there were no problems with people going off on a tangent or 'not getting it'.

So the basic plan is, explain the claim, back it up with evidence, explain the method of collecting the evidence, question the validity of the evidence and the motivations that could alter their findings, question if other theorists could explain the claim better, then a sensible conclusion. Admittedly, this is a bit sketchy, but with a bit more thought it should work - it's a mile away from where I was before the tutorial.

No comments: