Tuesday 15 February 2011

DD101 Introducing the Social Sciences - TMA01 Submitted

That is TMA01, my first OU assignment, submitted. After re-writing it as an essay, I left it for a couple of days then re-read it, made some minor changes and since then re-read it a couple more times and now any changes I am making are so minor as to be meaningless - so best to submit it and move on to TMA02.

I had some difficulty getting down to a 750 wordcount and used most of the 10% either-way rule almost to it's maximum. If it had been an absolute maximum of 750 I would just have dropped the last (weakest) argument/example, but if the rules say 750, but upto 825, then if you need nearly 825 then why not use the extra.


The deadline for this TMA is 1st March, so if I do have a panic and want to change things I can resubmit another version - but I doubt that will be necessary.

So onwards to TMA02.......

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Well done! Wish I could say the same. But I only started on the Social Sciences course this week and trying to get my 1st TMA at such ablate start is cracking me up. I was on a different course but changed to this one and never realised the TMA would have to be in this quick, the arts and history TMA 01 doesnt have to be in till the 8th march and we'd had weeks on that one. Am I a glutton for punishment?
Writing academically is a whole different ball park. How many inequalities did you use? How long was your intro main body and conclusion. Plus how many words was your reflection? If you get this my name is Chez and I've just joined same course as you. It is my 1st module 1st assignment and I'm very late. But if you do read this would you answer those ? About word counts etc please. I haven't been on any forums yet but email is pinklebeau@hotmail.co.uk

The Accidental Student said...

Hi,

We must have had a different question from you, as I did this course a couple of years ago.

I generally stick to intro and conclusion at about 10% of word count each, with the remaining 80% try and set any definitions etc, but with only 750 words I think I just stuck to three examples and compared them to City Road.

If I remember correctly TMA 01 doesn't carry a high overall score and it is really a chance for your tutor to assess your writing style and give advice for later essays,

I think the reflection was 100 words.

There are usually helpful Facebook groups for each course, unofficial and informal.

Good luck.