Tuesday 30 November 2010

DD101 Introducing the Social Sciences - Final Book Purchase ?

This really is the last book that I intend to purchase for this course, my wallet can't take any more !!!

I had been searching for information on the course and found some websites/blogs from others who have studied or are studying this course - I have listed these on the link area of the page.


I also came across the "Getting Ready for DD101" page on the OU website, and they suggested the book "Social Sciences : the big issues" by Kath Woodward as a useful text, so after visiting Amazon again, I now have more than enough reading materials to see me through to the end of January and the start of the course proper.

4 comments:

Ultra Petite said...

How did you find this - useful?

The Accidental Student said...

Yes, partly because it enabled me to start reading for the course early as it was frustrating waiting on the course materials, and partly because it got you thinking about some of the Social Science questions you will meet later.

It wasn't all good though. There were some chapters that were really long winded, and some I didn't really get or agree with.

But over all I think it was good purchase, and it gives you another source to reference in the TMAs :-)

Ultra Petite said...

I may well make the investment then...
I've read the whole of your blog and have found it incredibly encouraging, even where you've found it tough.
You seem an awful lot like me in that you prefer to be organised and ahead, you give your best and perform a challenging 'day job' at the same time.
Hope you get a good mark for TMA05!

The Accidental Student said...

Thanks for the comments. I started this blog because I could find no information on what it was like to actually study this course - amount of time needed, difficulty etc. so if you have found this useful that is great.

It is really good to know your slightly ahead of the schedule, especially when writing the TMAs. I have found it very useful to write them and leave them for a couple of days and re-read - this obviously takes up time and not everyone has this amount of time free.

I think the foundation courses are good to give everyone the skills needed for the next stages, as some have done no study before while others have done degrees before - obviously those with experience of study and writing assignments will find these courses far easier that somebody doing this from scratch, so I'm expecting the next course to move up a gear...

Anyway good luck, and regards the book, I can see it being really useful in the next TMA as it discusses identity very well.