Tuesday 8 November 2011

A222 - Exploring Philosophy : TMA01 Submitted

Just under 1900 words, and even that took a bit of pruning, but it has gone in now.

It seemed easy to head off on tangents on this essay, and at one point I had written paragraphs on Hume and Parfit that had nothing at all to do with criticizing Locke's views, although I obviously did not notice this at the time of writing.

I spent some time setting out Locke's stall, person, man, soul, and mentioned several of his thought experiments, then focused on criticism or expansion of his ideas by Reid, Hume, Parfit, Butler, and even managed a passing mention of Kant.

The last part was drawing on aspects of personal identity not catered for in Locke's writing and then brought it all together with the conclusion.

Writing for a Philosophy course is probably very different to writing for the Social Sciences. I thought with Social Science that putting in enough effort would result in an appropriate mark, and that approach seemed to work, but I'm not sure sheer effort on its own will be enough this time round so I just hope I have been able to add enough of my ideas in and that they were of value..... Just have to wait for the mark now.

As with the last course, for some reason when I start writing in draft, it is always the second paragraph that ends up being the core of the Introduction and the first paragraph disappears in the editing process.

On to Book 2 in which we study the Philosophy of Superstition, the next part of this course could be a struggle, god help me !!!

No comments: