Friday 4 November 2011

A222 - Exploring Philosophy : End of Week 5

This weeks reading was about the writing of the modern philosopher Parfit.

I have to say that I was far more interested in David Hume's writing and ideas than Parfit's. I think Parfit's 'thought experiments' are too far fetched and require that certain assumptions are accepted in order for them to work - for example that we have a soul.

The Open University audio even describes Parfit's experiments as 'crazy though experiments', which doesn't fill me with confidence. I think I am a bit grounded in logic, fact and science  to be able to fully immerse myself in what is nonsense experiments.

Obviously, I won't be writing that in the TMA, I will have to spin a more thoughtful narrative full of critique and referencing.......

                                             ........... which reminds me, I'd better get writing this TMA.

No comments: