Wednesday 8 June 2011

DD101 Introducing the Social Sciences - TMA04 Marked and Returned

Well... the returned mark for TMA04 was a huge shock, exactly the same mark as TMA03, so I am really pleased and just a little surprised.

I spent a lot of time reading for this assignment and thinking about it, but comparatively little time writing it, so I did not have the luxury of the previous TMA's of re-reading, re-writing etc. - possibly this proves that this process actually achieves very little as the changes made are really fiddling around the edges.

The good things about this essay, according to my tutor, were:
  • Good description of the production of social order due to the work of Buchanan and Monderman, and not falling in to the trap of talking about the effectiveness of heir traffic management theories.
  • Good use of examples from previous chapters, 'seduced/repressed', 'identity work' etc. in fact I included just about anything I thought I could crowbar in from previous chapters - sometimes almost word for word.
  • Good but sparing use of Foucoult and Goffman, used only where appropriate and not trying to 'force' comparisons.
So on to TMA06 then and a new big book !

No comments: