Sunday 21 July 2013

Open University TMA Substitution Policy - What's the point ?

I guess I'm at a bit of a loose end waiting on the DD203 exam and module result, so I had a look at the substitution rules that apply to the TMAs, and apart from being incredibly complicated in arithmetic terms, they seem to make very little difference to the final result. 

The rules/instructions are HERE , in the download undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules assessment handbook (405KB) (PDF).

Section 2.8 is the one that 'explains' everything. Even with their example of a student failing to submit one TMA the overall average only shifted by 4.22%, and my overall TMA score only changed by about 0.5%, so hardly worth the effort of doing the calculation.

I would be interested to know if substitution has ever made a difference to an overall result in a way that would not already have come under consideration by the award review and appeals process.

I would go as far as to say that its possible that the existence of these substitution rules actually 'encourage' the non-submission of TMAs to the determent of students.

Any thoughts ?

No comments: