Saturday 25 October 2014

DD309 : Doing economics: people, markets and policy - Week 4

Week 4 – Well-being, power and inequality within households

PartTask
4.1 Well-being, power and inequality within householdsRead DEPMP, Book 1, Part I: Chapter 4
4.2 Amartya Sen on gender and inequality in economics View some short video clips
4.3 Online tutorial – econometricsComplete Econometrics I and Practice exercises I


Its been an incredibly busy week both at work and at home. If I wasn't actually actively involved in doing something - be that work or home chores such as cooking, cleaning or emergency DIY (don't ask, I'm not a plumber to trade, I may well be qualified and experienced now ......), I was just too tired to read and concentrate on what was on the page.

Consequently, I have not made great headway into what appears to be a very interesting Chapter 4, so the week ahead of schedule that I'd banked has now evaporated...... What I have read is the theory of why we should be happier together as couples fron an economics point of view. The book makes much of the graphical model and how both the man and woman (obviously a very traditional idea of a couple and I'm sure nothing is inferred by this) can be happier being together. The book hasn't yet looked at the part of the model that shows both could be far more miserable, but perhaps economists are hopelessly optimistic romantics, I know I am ๐Ÿ˜Š

On the up-side, I am fairly relaxed about Part 1 of the TMA, and as soon as I read Chapter 4 I'll know how I feel about Part 2. It does seem a lot of words to write on a very small question but this could be a very big subject.

Hopefully, life is about to return to normal and study will recommence shortly.

No comments: