Saturday 19 July 2014

Are the Open University degrees as good as traditional university degrees.

The start of July brought the exam results, and September brings the opening of the next course website, so with no Open University tasks time-tabled in July and August, I thought it would be a good time to tackle a question I have seen in many online forums which asks, "Are the Open University courses academically rigorous enough.", and the obvious connected question, "What is the value of an Open University degree compared with those gained from traditional brick universities".

As a bit of background to this, I started my first degree as a teenager quarter of a century ago. It was an 'ordinary' engineering degree, a 4 year sandwich course which mean I was working in industry for the three summer breaks, the long university breaks which other students usually spend inter-railing round Europe - although I may be showing my age saying this. With classes, assignments and lab work this was a 9-5 Mon to Fri with extra study required in the evening and it was a real struggle, both to keep up with the work and to pass the exams.

Much later in my career I was lucky enough to be sponsored for an industry part-time MBA. This took four years of pretty constant work in the evenings, similar to that required for the OU, but also one weekend a month in class and a residential course/project one week a year. Again, it was a struggle to keep up with work and pass the exams.

In comparison to these previous courses, the OU PPE courses so far have been less work and easier assignments. Although this judgement may be tempered by the fact that I am doing the course for fun - really as a hobby - not to start or advance my career. Therefore the pressures are different, as is my knowledge and world experience, so if I went back to do my previous degrees again I may find them easier - who knows.

The conclusion that I am left with, considering these facts in isolation, is that this OU PPE degree can not possibly be equivalent, in course content or academic rigour, to that of my past courses or to degrees taken at a traditional university.

 I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this subject, but I can't help feeling that the Open University would increase the rigour of the course assessments and the quality of learning experience for their students (or client-learners as we are now) if they only revealed the TMA questions at the start of the scheduled 'TMA week'.

I say this because there are two methods of approaching the learning and study for each section of course material,

    Method 1. - To learn and gain as much knowledge as possible,
or
     Method 2. - To do the minimum required to pass the TMA.

In these times when everyone has got so much going on, especially those who juggle family, work (full, part-time or voluntary) and also study, it can be sometimes be necessary due to constraints of time and choices regarding quality of life, to study purely to pass the TMA.

It was certainly possible on A222 Philosophy to write all TMAs having only read only a quarter of the course material, and I think this was pretty much the same on DD203 Politics - however, you obviously had to read further for the exams on both courses.

If the TMA questions were only revealed at the start of the TMA week it would certainly motivate me to put the work in to cover all of the required reading before the TMA week started, and this would surely be a better learning experience and increase the perceived rigour of the course.

I would also suggest that because there seems to be such a variation of tutor interest and help across the courses, that as soon the TMA questions are revealed tutors should not be helping students any further, and that TMA extensions should not exceed two weeks, effectively all TMAs shoud be submitted before the original deadline for TMAs to be returned is breached.

Which leads to then other bug-bear I have that of TMAs coming back from different tutors at different times. They should all be returned on the 14th day, except those who have the two week extension.

The three exams I have sat so far seemed on the surface to be sufficiently taxing, but there does seem to be a real element of chance involved with 'spotting' possible questions, especially in the Philosophy course where the books are so compartmentalised.  While in the recent economics exam the fact that some questions were, to all intents and purposes, identical to example exam questions in the only example exam paper the OU had produced for that course, surely casts major doubt on the veracity, fairness and outcomes from that exam.


Having said all this, the OU does a very necessary job of opening up degree study opportunities for those who through choice, life chance or circumstance were not able to go to university straight from school. Effectively the OU is democratising further education. It is not necessarily the brightest in society that go to university straight from school, it is usually those with better financial resources and life chances who get this opportunity, and therefore those who seek education through the OU as 'mature students' should be recognised for the sacrifices (financial costs, family time, etc.), drive and commitment required to pursue a degree as a more mature student while juggling family, career and whatever else life throws at them.

So, while the OU's courses may not be as academically rigourous as traditional universities on a absolute scale, I think there is a very credible argument that for many there is an 'equivalent' level of rigour, given the many student's past opportunities and learning experiences. You'd expect somebody from a wealthy background, who had been educated at a private school, to get into a top university and attain a good degree - after all it is what their parents have been paying for. So for those without these life advantages to self fund and commit to studying for a degree is certainly a statement to this person's character and ambition.   

For these reasons, and indeed others, should I finally be awarded an Open University degree in two years time I will be very proud to have it on my C.V., and if anybody asks if an Open University degree as good as traditional university degree I will have to ask them to clarify what parameters they are using to measure this value against, because in some ways, possibly in more important ways, the Open University degree carries more value.

3 comments:

Arnold said...

The problem with your argument is that you're comparing your university experience from decades ago with the OU of today.

As we all know, the A-levels of decades ago were significantly harder than those of today. For example, around 10% got A, about 30% C or above up to the early 80s vs now it's more like 30% getting A/A* ie in broad terms a C from 1980 is the rough equivalent of an A today.

I've been looking around for a potential masters of late and the list of qualities that they're looking for are pretty much a list of the things that you pick up as an OU student as a matter of course. Several OU students in the last year or two have gone on to do doctorates in the likes of Oxford (and, of course, most don't say what they're off to).

So, yes, the OU degree of today is probably less rigourous than degrees from decades ago but so are the degrees from all universities.

Chris Wallace said...

Until a couple of weeks ago I might have gone along with your assertion that OU degrees aren't as rigorous as traditional universities. Until then, nearly all my module results had been distinctions (from a BSc in Computing and IT and individual modules in Biological Psychology and Technology of Music) - all a bit too easy, maybe?

However, having just completed Inside Music and got a grade 3, I have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that I was just darned good at the sciency stuff and it's how I think.

I love music (to listen to, and play harmonica by ear), but I just have to accept that without the formal training (I started the course without even having done music O level) I didn't have sufficient academic knowledge or ability to get my usual high benchmark. Initially I was very disappointed (I just scraped 85% in the OCA, so thought I had a chance of a distinction), but the more I thought about it, the happier I became that it wasn't possible to get undeserved high grades.

I now value my First Class BSc (Open) even more (and not just because, like many other OUers, I fitted it in around work and family) because I now truly feel I earnt it!

ps. Thanks for the blog - it helped me realise that philosophy wasn't for me: I liked the *idea* of studying philosophy, not the subject itself! I might not be great at studying music, but I do love the subject, and whatever grades I achieve will be hard won and treasured :-)

All the best, Chris

The Accidental Student said...

Hi Arnold,

Thank you for your comment, you may very well be correct.

I had not considered that all degree courses may have become less rigourous over time, and if that is true then I guess this means an OU degree is very propbaly as rigorous as other degrees, and therefore equal to those gains at 'brick' universities.



Chris Wallace,

Thanks you for your comment, it is good to hear other people's views and opinions.

It would appear that my opinion regarding the rigour of OU courses may be incorrect and out of date, which I am not unhappy about.

...and congratulations on your First Class BSc. I would love to get a First, but it means getting at distinction on a Level 3 course which I think will be a real challenge.